Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Something Interesting I Found About James Joyce!

Now I know there are people that aren't huge fans of James Joyce. I've only read a few things of his, so I don't have a full opinion. What I have read, I really do enjoy. My first major exposure to him was in my American Literature class sophomore year of college, and now again in this course. When I was doing some research on him, I came across an interesting website. There are days during the year on which we celebrate certain things that important. In the literary world there's two weeks dedicated to James Joyce!

James Joyce actually has a summer school over in Europe. It seems to be very popular from what I read. They refer to it at "one of the foremost gatherings in the Joycean calendar". Now I think thats funny because we don't see that in a normal calendar. If I wanted to know anything about Joyce, I guess I'd have to check his calendar :-)

His summer school is opening during the first couple weeks of July. Scholars and lovers of Joyce come from all around the world just to be there during those two weeks in Dublin. They pretty much talk about and analyse his works. I'm sure they've done it many times before, but people that are huge fans of his can obviously do it over and over again. There's events every night during those two weeks, so students can get the full advantage of being in Dublin.

I'm going to leave the website on here, so if anyone is interested and loves James Joyce they can check it out. Maybe even apply if they want!

http://joycesummerschool.ie/

1 comment:

A Quinlan said...

Thanks for the link, Blair.